Yes that's me. That's me with a month full of beard. I had always been meaning to participate in the No Shave November.
What the No Shave November
So what is this No Shave November you ask? Its a movement started in 2009 to raise cancer awareness and donations. The basic idea is to not shave/groom hair for the month of November and instead donate the money thus saved to the American Cancer Society. Obviously Since I am from India it would be more prudent to donate to Indian Cancer Society. So here I am creating awareness with some jolly good hair.
What is Movember then?
Movember is a different movement albeit similar to No Shave November. Movember involves growing a mustache and keeping it well groomed. Movember is to raise awareness for prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health issues. Personally I feel No Shave November is more inclusive as women can participate too. However both are quite popular and worthwhile.
Cancer is an abnormal growth of cell that invades and spreads to different parts of the body. The biggest causes of cancer are Tobacco and Hepatitis infection. Possibility of cancer also increases with a bad lifestyle or exposure to radiation and pollutants.
- Certain Cancers run in the family and are causes by genes.
- All kinds of Tobacco products cause cancer, tobacco smoking causes 90% of lung cancer.
- A healthy diet and physical activity go a long way in preventing cancer.
- The Sun and UV ray exposure can cause skin cancer
- Radiation Exposure can cause cancer
- Certain food habits are known to cause cancer in various parts of the body. For example chewing betel nut causes oral cancer while a high salt diet can cause stomach cancer.
- Every one has cancer cells in the body. The cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests till they have multiplied to a few billion times.
- The first written record of cancer was at 1600 BC in the Egyptian Edwin Smith Papyrus describing cancer of the breast
- There are more than 100 types of cancer. Any body part can be affected by it.
- Over 20000 people die of Cancer everyday.
- No Shave November has raised over $1,000,000 for American Cancer Society
- You can also Contribute by spreading awareness or donating.